The IELTS General training is a type of IELTS exam. This exam measures students’ English language proficiency to use and understand English in everyday and workplace situations.
Those who want to migrate to an English-speaking country to work or study. Many students cannot perform well in this type of IELTS exam because they do not properly prepare for the exam.
The best way to prepare for any exam is to prepare for the exam through books, so in this blog, I will explain the best books for IELTS General Training.
Read the complete blog to learn everything and get the proper knowledge. These books are for beginners and advanced-level users and are selected based on popularity, quality, and effectiveness.
You can contact our expert team if you want any help regarding IELTS, PTE, TOEFL, and Studying abroad.
We provide free counseling sessions for students who want to go abroad for their studies or other purposes.
You just need to register, which is absolutely free for everyone. To register, click on the poster on the blog’s right side.
What is IELTS General Training Exam?
IELTS general training exam is for candidates applying for PR or wanting to migrate abroad for work purposes. This exam is taken along with the IELTS academic exam every year. IDP took the IELTS GT exam 2 to 3 times every month.
The speaking, listening, and writing task 2 for the IELTS GT exam are the same as IELTS academic exam. The reading section and writing task 1 section for both exams are different.
Now that you know everything about the IELTS General Training exam, let’s shift to the main focus of our blog, “Best books for IELTS General Training.”
If you want to apply for a non-SDS visa for Canada, read our blog, “Unveil Non-SDS Visa Success Rate In 2022.”
Best Books For IELTS General Training in 2023
Here, we will provide you with a table of the best books for the IELTS GT exam. You will get proper information about the price, publisher, and source from where you can buy the book.
|Name of the book||Author of book||Publisher||Price||Where to buy|
|English Collocations in Use||Felicity O’Dell & Michael McCarthy||Cambridge University Press||₹2,695||Amazon|
|The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS||Pauline Cullen||Cambridge University Press||₹720||Amazon, Flipkart|
|Cambridge IELTS 10 to 16||Various||Cambridge University Press||Each book below ₹500||Amazon|
|English Vocabulary in Use||Felicity O’Dell & Michael McCarthy||Cambridge University Press||₹470||Amazon|
|Barron’s IELTS super pack||Lin Lougheed||New Age International Pvt. Ltd.||₹3023 for the pack||Amazon|
|Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS||Pauline Cullen||Cambridge University||₹428||Amazon|
|Official IELTS Practice Materials Vol. 1 & 2||Cambridge ESOL||Cambridge University||Vol 1 ₹1464Vol 2 ₹1,640||Amazon|
|Cambridge Grammar for IELTS – with answers||Diana Hopkins & Pauline Cullen||Cambridge University Press||₹461||Amazon|
|IELTS Trainer – with answers and audio||Louise￼ Hashemi & Barbara Thomas||Cambridge English||₹6,198||Amazon|
|Road to IELTS||British Council||NA||Free||British Council official website|
English Collocations in Use
This book is published by the Cambridge University Press and written by Felicity O’Dell & Michael McCarthy. This book is easily available on Amazon at a price of ₹2,695.
- This book helps you with your daily English usage, that how you can use collocation (combination) of words.
- It also helps you by providing knowledge of how you can write certain phrases in the English language.
- This book has around 1500 collocation words.
- There are more than 50 lessons in this book that cover approximately every topic of English grammar.
This book is best for someone who has an intermediate English level. If your target is to get 6 bands or higher then you can go for this book. So this is the first book on the list of best books for IELTS general training.
The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
This book is also published by the Cambridge University Press and written by Pauline Cullen. This book is easily available on Amazon and Flipkart at a price of ₹720.
- This book covers all 4 modules of the IELTS exam.
- This book gives you proper step-by-step instructions for the IELTS exam.
- It also provides suggestions and practical tips for the exam.
- This book also has a proper strategy for the exam.
This is the second book on the list of best books for IELTS general training. This book is for someone who wants to improve his or her IELTS GT score.
Cambridge IELTS 10 to 16
Cambridge University Press is the publisher of this book too. It is available on Amazon at a price of less than ₹500 for each book.
- Books 10 and 11 have practice sample test with answers and some extra sample tests for both academic and general training.
- Book 12 has questions that are useful for both academic and GT students.
- All 4 modules of the IELTS exam are available in this book with many practice tests.
- Books 14, 15, and 16 are also great for practicing.
English Vocabulary in Use
Felicity O’Dell & Michael McCarthy are the writers of this book and this is also a book of Cambridge publication. The price of this book is ₹470 and it is easily available on Amazon.
- This book has approximately 3000 vocabularies and 100 units as well as numerous activities.
- Some of its exercises are useful for both elementary and advanced English learners.
You can buy this book if you want a score of 6 bands or higher in the IELTS GT exam. Because of its advance vocabulary and low price this book makes its place in the list of Best books for IELTS general training to score 9 bands.
Barron’s IELTS super pack
New Age International Pvt. Ltd. is the publisher of this book and Lin Lougheed is the writer of this book. You can easily buy this book from Amazon at a price of ₹3023 for Barron’s IELTS super pack.
- This is the most commonly used resource for IELTS study.
- Its lessons are up-to-date and it has mock tests for both GT and academics to practice.
- If you are doing self-study it is the best book for you to practice.
You can also see the list of blacklisted colleges in Canada to avoid enrolling in a fake or blacklisted college.
Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS
Pauline Cullen is the writer of this book and Cambridge University is its publisher. You can get this book at a price of ₹428 from Amazon.
- This book is best for students who are aiming for 6 bands or higher in IELTS.
- Mock tests are available in this book with answers that are given by professionals.
- This book will build vocabulary for both academics and GT students.
- This book has audio files also to improve listening as well as reading.
If you are aiming for a 7+ band score then this book is for you.
Official IELTS Practice Materials Vol. 1 & 2
Published by Cambridge University and written by Cambridge ESOL, this book aimed to get a score of a minimum of 6 bands in the IELTS exam. The price of Vol 1 is ₹1464 and Vol 2 is ₹1,640. You can purchase this book from Amazon.
- There is a number of practice tests for every single module.
- This book also has comments and answers to every question given in this book.
- The mock tests given in this book are to judge your level of understanding as well as your performance.
If your aim is to score a perfect 9 band in the IELTS exam then you should buy this book.
Cambridge Grammar for IELTS – with answers
Diana Hopkins & Pauline Cullen is the writers of this book and this book is also published by the Cambridge University Press. You can get this book at a price of ₹461 from Amazon.
- This book is beneficial for you if you are making your English grammar base strong.
- There are explanations of every grammar topic in this book.
This book is the best to choose to improve listening, reading, and writing skills for the IELTS exam.
IELTS Trainer – with answers and audio
The writers of this book are Louise￼ Hashemi & Barbara Thomas and just like other books Cambridge English is the publisher of this book. You can get this book from Amazon at a price of ₹6,198.
- This book offers tricks and tips for the exam along with the 6 practice tests.
- Official test formats are followed by this book.
- Updated question types for both academics and General training.
This was the second-to-last book in the list of the best books for IELTS general training, you can consider this book to get an updated and official format of the IELTS GT exam.
Road to IELTS
Technically it is not a book, it is more like a mock test and practice resource for IELTS learners. This is the official practice resource by British Counseling, and you can easily get this from British Counseling’s official website without any cost.
- If you have a membership of British Counseling, then you can freely download these resources. If you do not have a membership, you can watch the resources online.
- The updated speaking tutorial is available.
- Sample videos, mock tests, and progress sections are also available.
Target Band 7 by Simone Braverman
It may be clear by the name of this book that this book is for helping students achieve students 7 bands in IELTS General Training.
There are a total of 4 sections in this book that focus on four different modules of the IELTS exam.
In each section, you will get tips for particular exam modules on achieving 7 bands in each section.
- This book is a great resource for self-study as this book is properly organized and easy to understand.
- You will get a proper explanation for every concept with examples that help the reader understand what the author is saying easily.
- In this book, students will get the practice test just like the actual exam (the main thing that every good preparation book must have).
To properly understand the book and easily adapt to what the writer is saying, students are advised to read the book properly and take notes of tips and strategies explained in the book.
Students are advised to practice on a regular basis to get the best result from the book.
Top Tips for IELTS General Training by Cambridge ESOL
This is the last book on the list of best books for IELTS General Training. If you want to prepare for the IELTS General Training exam and do not want to read lengthy books for preparation, then this book is for you.
In this book, you will get every strategy shortly, which will be easy for students to understand.
This book will give you the best tips for every exam module. The book is divided into 4 sections for easy understanding students: each contains one exam module.
- This is one of the best books for IELTS General Training because it provides clear and simple tips to improve your score in IELTS GT.
- You will get real exam-based practice tests that will give you a proper understanding of the exam format.
- As this book is also written by Cambridge ESOL (IELTS test makers), you will get accurate and up-to-date strategies.
Use the practice test given in the books to test the strategies in real-time test scenarios.
These are the best books for IELTS general training you can choose from. You can choose the best book for you out of these according to your budget and comfort.
After discussing the best books for IELTS general training, here are some tips for every IELTS general training exam module.
IELTS Writing tips
If you want to know how to improve writing in IELTS then this section of the blog is for you. Here you will get some tips that will surely help you to improve your performance in the IELTS writing section. Along with the best books for IELTS general training these tips can also help you to score 9 bands in the IELTS exam.
- Firstly, you should use your time in IELTS writing very wisely, as you will only get 60 minutes for the writing section in IELTS. Do not spend more than 15 to 20 minutes on task 1 and 35 to 40 minutes on task 2.
- Write a minimum of 150 words for task 1 and 250 for task 2. This is the minimum word limit set by the IDP for the writing tasks.
- Before writing understand the topic properly because coherence is very important in writing to score a high band score.
- Work on grammar and lexical resources.
- Always spare at least 5 to 10 minutes to proofread your writing.
IELTS speaking tips
To score a higher band score on the IELTS speaking test there are some tips you can follow.
- While preparing for IELTS speaking try not to memorize the answers else try to be natural in front of the examiner. The examiner can easily identify whether you have crammed the answer or speaking naturally.
- While using vocabulary do not use words that maybe the examiner is unfamiliar with.
- Do not worry about the accent, just speak accurately and fluently.
- Smile while giving IELTS speaking as it helps you to relax. It will also boost your confidence.
IELTS Reading Tips
There are some IELTS reading tips below that you can follow to achieve a higher band score.
- Before going for the exam you need to practice each and every type of question that can come into the exam.
- Do not read the passage word by word just apply the skimming and scanning technique.
- Increase your reading speed because you will have only 60 minutes and 40 questions to answer.
- Don’t try to understand every passage just focus on the keywords to find answers.
IELTS listening tips
Listening is considered the easiest scoring module in the IELTS exam. There are some tips you can follow to score a perfect 9-band score in the IELTS exam.
- Practice as much as you can because the more you practice the more you will improve your listening skills.
- Watch English movies and listen to English music and focus on what the speaker is saying.
- Before the recording starts, underline the keywords in the question paper and focus on when the speaker talks about these keywords.
- While transferring answers to the answer sheet from the question paper be careful and write neat and clean in capital letters so that the checker can easily understand what you have written.
In this blog, we have discussed the best books for IELTS general training exams. We have provided you with a list of the top books for GT. You can choose any of these books according to your convenience. We have provided you with the price and source detail from which you can purchase these books.
After the list of books for the GT exam, we also give the best tips for every module of your exam, that will help you to achieve a high band score in every module of your IELTS exam.
We hope you have enjoyed reading this blog about the best books for IELTS general training. For more interesting blogs like this keep visiting our site.
How can I prepare for IELTS general training?
IELTS general training exam consists of 4 modules and you have to prepare for every module for a good overall band score. You have to practice every type of question that can come into the exam. Our expert team can help to guide you properly for your IELTS GT exam. You can also give a free mock test provided by us on our website.
How can I get 9 in IELTS?
To get a score of 9 bands in IELTS GT or IELTS Academics you need to practice as much as you can. Also for a 9-band score in the IELTS exam, you have to attend the exam with full concentration.
Which is the hardest part in IELTS?
It depends from person to person some students find writing and some find speaking modules difficult in the IELTS exam. There are also some students who might lack scores in reading and listening to IELTS. If you practice properly and attend the exam with full concentration you won’t find any module of the IELTS exam difficult.
Is IELTS general easy?
Yes, some consider IELTS general easy because in this your English is checked how you will use English generally not for academic purposes.