Duolingo English test is the latest addition to the list of English language exams non-native English speakers take to prove their language proficiency.
This exam has gained popularity during the Corona pandemic. The main reason behind the popularity of this exam is that students do not have to go to any center to take the exam. Also, this exam is relatively cheaper than the other English language tests.
This exam measures your proficiency through four different components,
- Literacy – Ability to read and write
- Comprehension – Ability to listen and read
- Conversation – Ability to speak and listen
- Production – Ability to write and speak
In this blog, we will explain the Duolingo speaking questions you must try to get a good score in the Duolingo exam.
Types Of Duolingo Speaking Questions
There are mainly four types of speaking questions in the Duolingo exam for which you will get a score. There will be a speaking question that won’t affect your score; this question will be for a sample for the universities to which you will apply.
- Read aloud
- Speak about the photo
- Read, then speak
- Listen, then speak
- Speaking sample
In this type of question, you will be given a sentence on your computer screen and asked to record yourself while reading the sentence. You will have some time to look at the question, and you will have only 20 seconds to record yourself.
Once you are ready, click the record button. You will have only one chance to record yourself. You are advised to click the next button once you have finished speaking the sentence.
Here are some tips for Read-Aloud questions:
- Practice as many read-aloud questions as you can before the exam.
- Look for the punctuation carefully and take a short pause on the punctuation.
- Speak a little louder at a natural pace so that your voice gets captured.
This was the first type of Duolingo speaking questions; here is an image that shows a sample of the question.
Speak about the photo
In this type of question, students are given an image and will be asked to talk about it. They will have 20 seconds to read instructions and observe the image before the recording starts automatically.
You will have to speak about the photo for 30 to 90 seconds. You will be able to see the image even when the recording starts. You will have only one chance to record yourself, so be careful while recording and click on the next button when you stop speaking.
Here are some tips for Speak about the photo questions:
- You are advised to speak like you are explaining the image to someone who can not see the image.
- Observe the image completely in the given 20 seconds.
- Speak a little louder at a natural pace so that your voice is recorded clearly.
- If you stumble while speaking any word, do not panic; just recover and keep speaking about the image.
This was the second type of Duolingo speaking questions; here is an image showing a sample.
Read, then speak
In this type of question, you will be given a topic on your computer screen, and you will be asked to speak about the topic. This question in Duolingo is more like an IELTS speaking cue cards question. For this question type, you will get approximately the same questions as cue cards in IELTS.
You will have 20 seconds to read the question and prepare to speak. You have to speak for 30 to 90 seconds. You can see the question even when you are recording yourself. You should read the given question carefully and cover the bullet points given in the question in your response.
Here are some tips for Read, then speak questions:
- Cover all the points given in the statement for the best result.
- Speak at a natural pace and also a little louder to ensure your response is being recorded.
- Do not while speaking; when you are done with your response, click the next button immediately.
- Make sure you provide a conclusion before the recording stops.
This was the third type of Duolingo speaking questions; here is an image showing a sample.
Listen, then speak
For this type of question, you will listen to audio. There will be a question in that audio file, and you will be asked to speak about the question for 30 to 90 seconds.
You will be able to listen to the audio 3 times, have 20 seconds to hear the audio and start your preparation.
You cannot listen to the question once the recording starts, so you are advised to listen carefully to the question.
The question in this question type will be like the previous one, but you won’t have any bullet points that you must cover for this question type.
Click on the next button once you have stopped speaking.
Here are some tips for Listen, then speak questions:
- You must speak louder at a natural pace.
- Before starting recording, make sure you have a clear understanding of the question or prompt. If you cannot understand the prompt on the first attempt, you can replay the prompt 2 more times.
- Provide a proper conclusion to the question.
This was the fourth type of Duolingo speaking questions; here is an image showing a sample.
You will not get scored for this question. This question is only for the sample for the institutes you will apply to based on your Duolingo score through the Duolingo website.
You will have a topic or question about which you must speak for 1 to 3 minutes. You will have 30 seconds to read the question and start your preparation. You will be able to read the question while speaking. Your video recording will be sent to the universities in the speaking sample.
Here are some tips for Speaking sample question:
- Do not look at the timer while speaking.
- Speak a little louder at a natural pace to record yourself.
- Practice speaking about the question 1 to 3 minutes before taking the exam.
- This question is unscored, but the sample will be sent to the universities so speak about the topic.
Sample Duolingo Speaking Questions
- I asked my friend to go shopping with me, but he denied.
- Mathematical and computer models are produced, and field research is done to test the models.
- The emergence of IT has created updated products, processes and distribution systems.
- The informative speech aims to give the audience interesting, helpful, and unique information.
- You must complete all the details to submit your application on the portal.
Speak about the photo
Read, then speak
- Describe a time your important trip gets delayed.
- Why was it an important trip?
- Why is it gets delayed?
- What happened at the end of the trip?
- Describe an interesting animal.
- Which is the animal?
- Where you first saw it?
- Why is it an interesting animal?
- Talk about a busy location you visited.
- What was the location?
- When you visited there?
- With whom you visited there?
- Describe your feeling when you were at that place.
- Talk about a tough task you did.
- What was the task?
- Why was it difficult?
- How much time did it take to finish?
- How did you feel about that?
Listen, then speak
In this blog, we have discussed Duolingo speaking questions. You must have complete knowledge of the speaking questions if you are planning to take the Duolingo exam and want to score high on the exam.
You must practice these questions before you sit in the actual Duolingo exam. You can contact our experts for guidance about the Duolingo exam, or if you have any queries, let us know through comments.
Keep visiting CourseMentor™ for more content like this.
Is Duolingo score accepted in USA?
Yes, the Duolingo English test is applicable for the USA study visa. Many top universities accept Duolingo English test scores as English language proficiency proof.
What is Duolingo fees?
The fee for the Duolingo English test is 49 USD. You can buy the test from the official Duolingo English test website.