The IELTS UKVI is for those candidates who are looking for an opportunity to study, work, or migrate to a UK country. If you are also looking to work or study in the UK then obviously you have to apply for UK Visa and also you need to show your competencies in the English language. However, if you qualify for an IELTS-based test, approved by UK Visa and Immigration purpose is known as UKVI. Moreover, if you are coming from a non-English speaking country, then you can also apply for UKVI as it is for everyone.
Well, the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), is for those who want to follow a professional and academic career in a foreign country. In this blog, we’ll help you to know more or everything about IELTS UKVI, along with some useful tips to qualify for the exam. But first, let’s talk about what is IELTS
What Is IELTS UKVI – Meaning & Purpose
Well, IELTS UKVI is a UK-based test that is approved by the UK government and is called the Secure English Language Test (SELT). However, it simply means that the IELTS UKVI can be used to justify your English abilities in support of the UKVI (UK Visa and Immigration) requisition.
Moreover, the IELTS General Training, IELTS Academic, and IELTS Life Skills are also approved by the authorities of the UK as proof of your proficiency in the English language. Besides, the IELTS UKVI is wholly managed by the IELTS partners which include the British Council, IDP: Cambridge English, and IELTS Australia.
Along with this, it is recommended to ask the candidates for their desired universities in which they want to enroll. Also, ask which type of UKVI test is required to get admission into the universities of the UK.
It is important to ask about the test type of IELTS UKVI as your examination scores depend on the requirements of your selected university or college.
Distinguish Between IELTS Academic And IELTS UKVI
Do you know the difference between IELTS Academic and IELTS UKVI? Additionally, there are so many similarities and dissimilarities between them.
Before you jump to any conclusion, you should have proper knowledge of their difference. Apart from this, the test pattern for IELTS UKVI is almost the same as Academic IELTS which includes all four modules – Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing. Let’s check the following table to get more information about their different
|Specifications||IELTS Academic||IELTS UKVI|
|Eligibility||It is for those who just want to study internationally.||It is for those who want to study, work, or migrate to the UK.|
|Fee Structure||Fee for IELTS Academic: INR 16,000 approx||Fee for IELTS UKVI: INR 16,500 approx|
|Test Modes||Computer-based or paper-based as well||Only computer-based with strict protocols|
|Test Reports||Casual||Somewhat altered, as it has mentioned the name of the approved IELTS UKVI center.|
|IELTS Band score||Requires 6.5+||It requires 4.0 or above in the speaking and listening sections.|
Approved IELTS Tests For IELTS UKVI
The IELTS UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) has approved three types of tests which are approved and accepted by the UK Government with one condition. Well, the condition is that you are eligible and you have scored more or equal to 4.0 band scores. If you fulfill that one condition then you can select the desired university for further studies in the UK. Besides, if you want to migrate then it also requires the same condition as mentioned above.
However, what if the student has not done IELTS UKVI, but still wishes to go to the UK? Is the IELTS General Training Test accepted by the UK authorities? How do the IELTS Life skills help in clearing the IELTS test and applying for a UK Visa?
So these are the kind of questions that come into a candidate’s mind before applying for UKVI. Well, we have an answer or a kind of solution for this problem. The IELTS Academic, IELTS General Training Test, and IELTS Life skill Test have been accepted by the UK Government and the test you have given will also be reflected in your CV. However, this helps in getting a good job internationally.
IELTS Academic For IELTS UKVI
The IELTS Academic for IELTS UKVI is also an ideal solution for candidates who desire to study in an English-speaking environment. If you have done IELTS Academic and scored less than 6.0 bands but you still have a goal for professional registration to any foreign country, In that case, the UK would be a perfect choice. However, IELTS for UKVI’s main objective is to assess whether the student is ideal to pursue higher education in UK colleges.
IELTS General Training Test For IELTS UKVI
The IELTS General Training Test for IELTS UKVI is ideal for those who are either planning to migrate or are interested in higher education in the UK. If your purpose is to study in the Uk then only IELTS Academic is suitable. But if you want to move to the UK permanently after completing the study then IELTS General Training for UKVI is a perfect choice.
However, the primary goal of the GTI is to focus on the basic survival needs of the candidates in a wider workplace environment. Likewise, for IELTS UKVI or Academic IELTS, the exam pattern of the General training test is also the same. As it also includes speaking, writing, listening, and reading.
Apart from this, it is the same as the general test and the students need to choose the test centers only by making sure the registration should be done by the UK Home Office.
IELTS Life Skill Test For IELTS UKVI
Have you heard before about the IELTS Life Skill test? Because this test was recently launched by the UK Government. As it is the newest version of the Secure English Language Test (SELT). Basically, this test is attempted by those candidates who want to prove their proficiency in English listening and speaking skills. As this helps to get the desired Visa.
In addition to this, these skills are evaluated on the A1 level and B1 level as per the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). Moreover, the best thing about the Life Skill Test is that you can give the exam multiple times if you failed to clear the exam. But unfortunately, if you pass the exam then you can’t re-apply for the same test for two years.
Let’s clarify the Life Skill Test exam details with the help of a table.
|Level 1 – IELTS Life Skills A1||The IELTS Life Skills A1 is for those who want to determine their English speaking and listening proficiency skills for the settee person family. As it is also a part of their application for UK visas.|
|Level 2 – IELTS Life Skills A2||The IELTS Life Skills A2 is also a kind of proof that helps in the extension of the partner, spouse, or family visa.|
|Level 3 – IELTS Life Skills B1||The IELTS Life Skills B1 is for those who need to prove their speaking and listening skills for citizenship or indefinite leave to remain.|
Benefits Of IELTS UKVI
- The best thing about IELTS for the UKVI exam is that it helps in getting PR in the UK after completing the studies which usually doesn’t present many challenges.
- Additionally, having your IELTS UKVI results on your CV gives you an advantage while you’re hunting for jobs when you are still in school.
- You must demonstrate your proficiency in speaking, reading, and listening in English through the IELTS test in order to take the UKVI test as an international student. Even though this is only one part of the application procedure, there are other conditions that must be met in order to be able to study in the UK.
- Also, the UK accepts low band scores for study Visas as compared to other countries.
- Moreover, the Life skill test is introduced by the UK Government which helps in the extension of the visa along with more advantages.
Preparation Tips For The IELTS UKVI
Follow the tips to get the desired scores for IELTS UKVI.
- Let’s begin with the Listening part in which the examiner will evaluate your ability to understand the main ideas, purpose, information, attitude, and opinion of the speaker. Just try to follow the development of the ideas.
- In the writing section, the tests are completely different from the general training test. Part 1 could be the same as IELTS Academic but part 2 might be a little bit different in that you have asked to write on formal, semi-formal, and informal topics. Just carefully read the question and try to understand what has been asked and then write your thoughts, opinions, or conclusions.
- The reading section can be taken from journals, magazines, books, and newspapers. However, the paragraphs might be related to the facts or the problems you have faced in any situation. Besides, you have 40 questions so read each set of questions properly so that you can later find the answers easily.
- For the speaking section, you don’t have to memorize the answer like cramming. Also, don’t try to use unfamiliar and big words during the conversation. Also, try to use a range of grammatical structures to express what you want to say.
After reading the entire blog, you are now completely aware of what IELTS UKVI is, and how it is different from IELTS Academic, IELTS GT (General Training Test), and others. But one thing that is common is that IELTS UKVI accepts all types of IELTS with a genuine band score. Apart from the difference, you can also read the tips for the examination and follow them so that you can get good results.
Moreover, remember to give your best performance for the IELTS UKVI exam. Hope this blog will be a helpful spot for you and you will find all the answers to your queries here.
FAQs (IELTS UKVI)
Which IELTS Exam should I take for a UK Visa?
You should take the IELTS UKVI exam if you want to study in the UK. Besides studying, if you want to move or migrate to a UK country then still you have to score in the IELTS UKVI exam.
What is the IELTS UKVI’s validity?
IELTS UKVI is valid for 24 months. This means that after passing an IELTS UKVI test, you can only retake it two years later.