In this modern era, a career in technology is exciting and a stepping stone to success. Having said that, there’s a huge list of niches and job roles to consider. But what is garnering attention from across the globe in the field of web designing. Many seem to be interested in what web designing is and how to get started. What’s even more interesting is what is the web designer salary and the career scope.
Many tend to get confused between web development and web designing. A web developer works on coding that makes a website or app function. But, a web designer works on the look and feel of the same. The style, colors, typography, etc., are the prime areas where a web designer focuses on. With the world moving towards technology, the demand for web designers is on the rise.
The increasing demand for web designers is the reason why the web designer salary is shooting up. Before knowing about it in detail, it’s even more critical to know everything about this career.
Why is web designing important?
In today’s modern era, we tend to rely on many websites for reasons better known to us. Web designers are the brains behind these websites. In other words, a web designer brings life to a website. Web pages, applications, sites, etc., pay a lot of attention to the design and layout. It is done to increase traffic and increase the customer base as well.
Roles and responsibilities of a web designer
The duties or the responsibilities that this career puts forth are –
- One prime responsibility includes planning and designing the structure of web pages.
- Web pages and applications focus a lot on user experience. It is why web designers engage in developing website features. It enhances the user experience.
- Yet another area that focuses on user experience is strategizing the design choices. It also is taken into account by web designers.
- Nowadays, everyone relies on smartphones for the simplest of things. It is a web designer who implements various designs for mobile sites. Besides this, they also have to make the web designs mobile compatible.
- No one would want to visit web pages and sites that take an eternity to load. It is where a web designer comes to the rescue. Optimizing the web pages for the greatest speed is the prime concern.
- Web designers have to design site navigations also.
- Web designers also have to develop reusable code that can be used for future use.
- Boost the scalability of web pages and applications is also one of the day-to-day tasks.
- Web designers have to make sure that the website’s front end is free of errors and bugs. Also, if there are any, then they should be able to fix them.
- To supervise software workflow management using certain project management tools and task runners.
- Testing websites during the development process is one of the most critical responsibilities.
- A web designer has to supervise the production and maintenance of the user interfaces of websites and web applications.
- Web designers should also be good project managers.
Types of web designers
A web designer can take up any of the following roles on joining the firm. They are –
- Front-end developer
- Back-end developer
- Design and layout analyst
- Web application developer
- Senior web analyst
- Web marketing analyst
Skills required in a web designer
Any job profile would need certain skills. The same is the case of a web designer. Better the skills, higher would be the web designer salary. Have a look at what do companies look for in web designers.
- Sound knowledge about SEO and its guidelines
- Understanding the core design principles
- Good command of design software such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, etc.
- Colour and typography
- Knowledge about layout and navigation principles
- Excellent knowledge of server-side CSS.
- prototyping approaches, practices, and software
Besides the above hard skills, companies give equal importance to soft skills as well. Some of the key skills that’d help a web designer bag great opportunities are –
- Problem-solving techniques
- Creative thinking
- Excellent communication skills
- Project management skills
- Time management
- Analytical ability
- Critical thinking, etc.
Why should one go for web designing?
Many people are showing their interest in this profession. Some of the reasons for the same are –
- Demand: Web designing is in demand. Right from start-ups to multinational companies, all are in search of web designers.
- Flexibility: This profession has the remarkable advantage of being flexible. One can choose to work on the client-side or the database side as well.
- Knowledge: From the knowledge point of view, a web designer has the edge over others. It is because of greater knowledge about many technologies. It means better career growth than others.
- Great salary: Let’s be honest. It is the most attractive aspect of them all. Web designers are offered handsome pay that’s enough to attract eyeballs.
Web designer salary
Talking about the salary of a web designer in India, it is attractive, without a doubt. An entry-level web designer can earn somewhere around 3.5 to 4.5 lakhs per annum. With an increase in experience, one can see an exponential increase in the salary as well.
One point to note is that the salary depends on a couple of factors as well. Some key factors that play a vital role in deciding the salary are –
- The location: The location of the organization impacts the salary as well. Metro cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, etc., have a higher cost of living. Thus, the salary in such areas would be high. In other cities, the salary drawn would be lesser.
- Skillset: How skilled the web designer talks volume about the package offered. The better the skills, the higher is the money made.
- Experience: An entry-level designer makes less money than someone with experience. It is for obvious reasons. The amount of time invested and expertise gained in the process decides the salary. In the beginning, people are graduated and do not have any corporate experience. The company has to invest a lot in training them. Hence, the salary offered at the start is less, but it keeps increasing with time.
- Company: How established, renowned, big the company is also determining the salary.
It is often observed that in most cases, an entry-level web designer makes somewhere around 3 to 3.5 lakhs. With experience of up to 4 years, the salary goes up to 6 to 6.5 lakhs on average. It is not a fixed range of money that one can make. It all depends on various factors (discussed above) and mostly on how skilled one is. All in all, over time, one can expect to make heaps of money.
If you’ve got a knack for coding and are interested in designing, then web designing is the field for you. With the web designer salary ranging between moderate and healthy, wait no more and work harder. The coming days can see huge demand for this profession in the market. It will further lead to an even more attractive salary.